Blackmores Pregnancy & Breast-Feeding Gold provides an ideal daily dose of 20 important nutrients for mother and baby including folic acid, iodine and vitamin D3. With omega-3 DHA to support baby’s brain, eyesight and nervous system development and a lower constipation iron.
Provides 20 important nutrients in total including a daily dose of:
- 500 micrograms of folic acid which, if taken daily for one month before conception and during pregnancy, may reduce the risk of having a child with spina bifida/neural tube defects
- 150 micrograms of iodine for baby's brain, visual motor skills and hearing development. Iodine supports the development of normal intelligence and IQ
- Lower constipation iron
- Odourless and concentrated fish oil, rich in DHA for baby's brain, eyesight and nervous system development.
All nutrients are important during pregnancy and breastfeeding. The following provides additional information on some special nutrients important during pregnancy and breastfeeding, that are in Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Gold.
Folic acid – According to guidelines in Australia* this product contains 500 micrograms of folic acid, as it is recommended that women of childbearing age take 400-500 μg of folic acid per day for at least one month before pregnancy and for the first 3 months of pregnancy.
Iodine - Requirement for iodine is increased during the whole pregnancy, especially the first 20 weeks.
Iron - Approximately one quarter of pregnant women report getting constipated when taking high doses of supplemental iron. That is why Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Gold contains a low-constipation, low-nausea, gentle on the tummy form of iron.
Omega-3 fatty acids - During pregnancy there can be an increased sensitivity to tastes, especially in the first trimester. Odourless fish oil means pregnant women can get the benefits of omega-3s without the fishy aftertaste.
Vitamin D - Vitamin D supports the development of healthy bones and teeth. A review of nutrient intakes in pregnant women suggested that dietary intakes were below recommended levels for vitamin D, while surveys of Australian neonates have shown approximately 40-57% of neonates have insufficient vitamin D levels
B group vitamins - B vitamins support cellular energy production, with vitamins B1, B2, B3, and B5 all involved in cellular energy production. Vitamins B2 and B12 help the body use folic acid.
Zinc, vitamins C & D and betacarotene for immune health support.
Adults – Take 2 capsules a day with meals, or as professionally prescribed.
- Not recommended for children under 12 years
- Do not exceed the stated dose of folic acid. If you have had a baby with a neural tube defect / spina bifida, seek medical advice
- This product contains selenium which is toxic in high doses. A daily dose of 150 microgram for adults of selenium from dietary supplements should not be exceeded
- Drink plenty of water
- Always read the label
- Follow the directions for use
- Supplements may only be of assistance if dietary intake is inadequate